Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Closure

Shortly, after Christmas, a badly decomposed body was found. It's thought to be that of a woman (Marilyn Bethell) who went missing a couple of months ago.

Marilyn's friend was quoted--"We're hopeful that it is Mari, and we're hopeful that it's not Mari," she said. Her family and friends continued to talk about the need for closure.

At work today, the topic was briefly discussed and one girl was aghast that the family would feel this way.

I thought about Natalee Holloway, and the anguish her parents must be going through. When I became a parent, the fear of something happening to my daughter would haunt me. The fear would cause nightmares and when awaken; I would run into her room to ensure it was a dream. If she made a sound (on the baby monitor), or if she was too silent, I was back in her room for reassurance. That fear doesn't stop after the first child.

From the first day you become a parent, almost every decision you make is based on your child's well being. Losing a child is a parent's biggest nightmare and they should never have to bury their child.

I wanted to debate my coworker but I was far to busy to get into it. Marilyn Bethell's family no longer has to struggle with the possibility of her held captive somewhere, being brutally tortured. I won't even go into the types of torture because the thoughts are too horrific for me to phantom.

Sometimes....sometimes, there are worse occurences than death itself. Closure does not mean--never to be thought of again.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home