Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Christmas

When my daughter was in the first grade, I helped her teacher organize the Halloween party. Damn, did I say Halloween? I meant-- fall party.

Anyways, the children were not allowed to wear their costumes to school, so the morning discussion amongst the children was—what are you going to be for Halloween? Shortly, prior to the party beginning, the children put their costumes on. They were adorable and were having a great time looking at each other’s costumes.

Except for one little boy.

His mother didn't believe in 'Fall Parties' and didn't send him with a costume. He was crying and didn't understand. How could he understand? He was only six! When asked by all the children as to why he didn't have a costume, he couldn't reply with an answer.

This teacher did the unthinkable. Instead of putting this little boy in a separate room, excluding him from the party, excluding him from the parade, excluding him from the laughter and treats, she gave him a costume. And what a grand warrior he was!

A random letter was drafted in my head.

Dear Concerned Parent:

May I suggest that next year, you keep your child at home during this festive time, to ensure he is not isolated?

Sincerely,

A Concerned Parent


Which brings me to Christmas.

When I was born, my mother was a Buddhist and my father was Catholic. Religion was not enforced. I grew up knowing that December 25th was the birth of Jesus and that there was a Santa Claus. Christmas wasn't isolated with Jesus's birthday, but about giving, sharing and spending time with family.

We live in a world with a diverse genre of people. I enjoy learning about different religions and respect other's beliefs whether I believe them or not. I don't get offended when I hear -Happy Chanukah (Jewish), Happy Lantern Festival (Chinese), or Happy Eid Al Fitr (Muslim). So why do so many get offended to hear Merry Christmas? When I was single and shared an apartment, my roommate had a beautiful Menora and I had a beautiful Christmas Tree. If you feel more comfortable calling it a Holiday Tree, then that's your choice, but for me, it's called-Christmas Tree. If you're going to boycott a Christmas Tree, then why stop there?

If were going to be politically correct, what about those elves? Are they protected under the labor laws? And the reindeers, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixon, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blixon, and Rudolph. What, no females? Was Santa chauvinistic? Why aren't feminists boycotting the reindeers? Why isn't PETA ticked about reindeers flying in such horrible ozone conditions? They should look into Christmas carols, too. Jingle Bells is a little suggestive don't you think? Family services should boycott Grandpa for letting Grandma drink too much and get run over by a reindeer! Oh yes, Christmas Carols should not be sang because they create segregation and are cruel… because who would want to wish Joy To The World?

Ahem.....

I want to wish joy to the world, just like many other people who celebrate Christmas.

You have groups boycotting the usage term Christmas, and you have other groups boycotting those who refuse to use the term.

Often, the people who will debate religious freedom, will create segregation among many.

So I say, Merry Christmas, and if you're offended, Happy New Year to you.

3 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I learned recently that male reindeer shed their antlers in the winter, and females in the summer. So, if you see any of Santa's herd with antlers they must be female.

Nice site.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Loco Lady said...

Why Jake, I think you're 100% correct!

Let's say Santa's reindeers are all females. If we want to be politcally correct, is it safe to assume that Santa might have been a homophobic?

Hi Jake and welcome. Can I visit your blog?

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Right on!

America needs to suck it up sometimes, I ranted about this type of stuff on my own blog, and frankly it's hurting America much more than it will ever help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home