Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Music

I grew up being the youngest of five children; three older brothers and one sister. My two oldest brothers where in a band,both playing guitar. The music they played and listen to was everything from folk to hard rock. As I type this, In A Gada-Da-Vida (baby) is playing in my head. Yesterday I pulled out my Cat Stevens cd and memories of my oldest brother singing Father And Son, left a lump in my throat. My sister was into Jackson 5, Michael Jackson and Barry Manilow. The youngest brother was constantly blasting Judas Priest. I probably have at least one favorite song from their selection. Yes, including Barry Manilow.

My music selection, coupled with their music, is huge. The other day, a co-worker asked if I had any cd’s in my car. “Well yes, yes I do. I’m not sure they’re office material though.”

The collection list, in my car:

AC/DC, Aerosmith, Archie Star, Backstreet Boys, Bonjovi, Jackson Brown, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Journey, My Chemical Romance, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Righteous Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Greenday, Mika, Prince, Pink Floyd, Poison, Simon & Garfunkel, Rush, Cat Stevens, Lynyrd Skynyrd,U2, Whitney Houston, John Cougar Mellencamp (he used cougar in his earlier music), and White Snake

* remind myself my cd’s to be re-organized back to ABC order *

I was surprised to find that the co-worker who is in her early 20’s new all but two artist. Can you guess which one? My Chemical Romance and The Archies.

When my daughters were growing up, we had a rule; I would listen to their music if they would listen to mine. As a result, they would love to see Prince or Mellencamp in concert, with me. And, I might enjoy seeing Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

Music has no age discrimination. I honestly believe that music reaches in your soul like no other. It’s a love and trance, wrapped in one. My first vision of what Utopia should be, came from my thoughts generated by a song.

For the introduction of a new kind of music must be shunned as imperiling the whole state; since styles of music are never disturbed without affecting the most important political institutions.
Plato

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home